Excerpts from classic writings on the history and philosophy of education. Original text and selected English translations, with complete bibliographic data. For each quotation, multiple English translations are given - to have a robust sense of what a paragraph in a foreign language means while not knowing or nearly not knowing the language.
This collection developed from (i) my readings in intellectual history, (ii) my interest in translation, (iii) as an exploration displaying Greek, Chinese, Arabic and Hebrew texts, and (iv), as an exploration of text and image digitization projects.
Something that is a sentence in English may be part of a long paragraph in Latin. Furthermore, even beyond the paragraph unit, each quotation is given with substantial context - enough to get a sense of the work in which the quotation lives.
- Al-Ghazali, "Iḥyā′ ‘Ulūm al-Dīn" (The Revival of the Religious Sciences)
- Alexander Pope, "An Essay on Criticism"
- Avesta, "Hymn to Mithra"
- Avicenna, "Kitāb al-Shifāʾ"
- Berger and Luckmann, "The Social Construction of Reality"
- Chandogya Upanishad, Seventh Prapathaka
- Clement of Alexandria, "Paedagogus" (Παιδαγωγός)
- Confucius, "The Analects"
- Eduba C ("The advice of a supervisor to a younger scribe")
- Thomas Heath, "A History of Greek Mathematics"
- Hermann Hesse, "The Glass Bead Game"
- Hippocratic Corpus, "Lex" (Νόμος)
- Horace, "Ars Poetica"
- Hugh of St. Victor, "Didascalicon"
- I Ching, the Seventh Wing
- Iamblichus, "On the General Science of Mathematics"
- Ibn-Khaldûn, "The Muqaddimah"
- William James, "The Principles of Psychology"
- C. S. Lewis, "The Discarded Image"
- Lucretius, "De rerum natura", Book IV, lines 469-521
- Maimonides, "Mishneh Torah", Sefer ha-Madda
- Marcus Aurelius, "The Meditations"
- Marrou, "A History Of Education in Antiquity"
- Philo of Alexandria, "On Husbandry" (De Agricultura, Περί γεωργίας)
- Jean Piaget, "Mathematical Epistemology and Psychology"
- Jean Piaget, "The Psychology of Intelligence"
- Plato, "The Seventh Letter"
- Plato, "Phaedrus"
- Plato, "The Republic", Book VI
- Plato, "Theaetetus"
- Plutarch, "On Listening to Lectures"
- Proclus, "A Commentary on the First Book of Euclid's Elements"
- Proverbs, Chapter 4, Verse 7
- The Maxims of Ptahhotep, Maxim 1
- Quintilian, "Institutio Oratoria"
- Thomas Aquinas, "Summa Theologica"